Non-Bahamian nationals who are desirous of working and living in The Bahamas for a period greater than 90 days, must first be authorized to do so by way of a valid work permit / visa issued by the Department of Immigration. Persons wishing to work for up to 90 days must apply for a short term work permit / visa.
Annual Work Permit Renewal Application Requirements:
- $200.00 non-refundable processing fee (payable by cash, credit/debit card, postal money order or bank certified cheque)
- Letter of Request addressed to the Director of Immigration
- Duly completed Renewal/Extension application form (legible)
- Applicant’s original medical certificate (dated not earlier than 30 days before submission of the application. Required for every applicant)
- Applicant’s original police certificate (issued not earlier than six (6) months and must cover five years of residence and is required from the age of 14)
- Two (2) current passport photographs of applicant on white background with name printed on back of photo (captured within six (6) months, photo size must be 2 X 2 inches)
- Copy of the biographical data page of applicant’s current passport (must be signed and readable with minimum of two (2) months validity)
- Copy of biographical data page of Employer/Sponsor’s current passport (if employer is a non-Bahamian, evidence of immigration status is also required)
- Letter from the National Insurance Board stating that the applicant’s contributions are up-to-date
- Copy of applicant’s previous work permit (front and back copied)
- Copy of Employer/Sponsor’s National Insurance Card/Certificate
- Copy of Business License, Certificate of Incumbency or Certificate of Incorporation of Employer/Sponsor
For accompanying Dependents, apply for Permit to Reside.
LABOUR CERTIFCATE AND NEWSPAPER ADVERTISEMENT ARE IMPORTANT TO THE WORK PERMIT PROCESS, AS THEY ARE KEY TO DETERMINING THE EMPLOYMENT PROSPECTS OF SUITABLY QUALIFIED BAHAMIANS. These documents should be submitted for all positions with the exception of the top position in your company (e.g. Chief Executive Officer, Chairman, and Managing Director). All domestic positions such as Gardeners, Maid, Handyman, etc. do not require a Labor Certificate for renewal.
All further correspondence should be addressed to:
Director of Immigration
P.O. Box N-831
Please note that:
1. Certified translations in English are required for each foreign document submitted and should have a Bahamian $10.00 postage stamp affixed thereto.
2. Translations must be prepared by someone proficient in the relevant foreign language.
3. Persons applying for status in first instance should not be in the country during the processing of the application.