Non-Bahamian nationals who are desirous of living for any purpose other than working in the Bahamas, must seek authorization from the Department of Immigration. This comes in the form of a Permit to Reside, also commonly known as an Annual Permit.
Permit to Reside Application Requirements:
- Letter of request addressed to the Director of Immigration
- $200.00 non-refundable processing fee (payable by cash, credit/debit card, postal money order or bank certified cheque)
- Duly completed First Schedule Form 1 application with $10.00 Bahamian postage stamp affixed thereon (legible and notarized)
- Applicant’s original medical certificate (dated no earlier than 30 days of the application being submitted. This required for each applicant)
- Applicant’s original police certificate issued not earlier than six (6) months and must cover five years of residence; required for applicants age of 14 and older
- Two (2) current passport photographs of applicant on white background with name printed on back of photo (captured within six (6) months of application photo size must be 2 X 2 inches)
- VALID copy of biographical page of passport for applicant (must be signed and readable with minimum (2) months validity)
- Copy of biographical page of passport for sponsor (must be signed and readable with minimum two (2) months validity)
- Certified copy of marriage certificate of applicant (if applicable)
- Certified copy of birth certificate of applicant showing parents’ names (if applicable)
- Two (2) character references from reputable persons or persons of good standing in applicant’s community (please provide telephone contacts and email addresses)
- Reference from applicant’s financial institution(s) stating a figure range and/or statement prepared by a Certified Public Accountant (adults/independent applicants)
- Copy of conveyance for residential property(ies) owned by applicant in The Bahamas (adults only and if applicable)
Accompanying Dependents must apply for a Permit to Reside
Additional Documents Required For Children:
- Letter confirming applicant’s enrollment in a school in The Bahamas
- Legal Court document granting custody or guardianship of applicant to sponsor (for children not accompanied by their parents)
- Certified copy of parents birth certificates (for children not accompanied by their parents)
- If children are not accompanied by both parents, evidence of legal custody of applicant is required from the accompanying parent/guardian
- Children who are being home schooled MUST be registered with the Ministry of Education and proof of such must be provided.
All further correspondence should be addressed to:
Director of Immigration
P.O. Box N-831
Please note that:
1. Certified translations in English are required for each foreign document submitted and should have a Bahamian $10.00 postage stamp affixed thereto.
2. Translations must be prepared by someone proficient in the relevant foreign language.
3. Persons applying for status in first instance should not be in the country during the processing of the application.
Any non-Bahamian who is:
- Attending school, college or university; or
- Dependent of someone who is legally authorized to reside in The Bahamas, Bahamian or non-Bahamian. (Dependents may be spouses, or children under the age of 18)
Once the actual application has been accurately and completely submitted, applicant should contact the Consultation Unit at 604-0241/2 within an 8 to 12 week period for an update of the process of the application.