Non-Bahamians who are married to Bahamian nationals may be eligible for a Resident Spouse Permit.  This permit allows spouses of Bahamians to legally live and work in The Bahamas, provided that they live with their Bahamian spouse and have been married for less than five years, at time of application. Please note that once five years of marriage have passed, the non-Bahamian spouse may apply for extension of Resident Spouse Permit, citizenship or permanent residency.

Resident Spouse Permit Application Requirements:

  • $200.00 non-refundable processing fee (payable by cash, credit/debit card, postal money order or bank certified cheque)
  • Letter of Request addressed to the Director of Immigration
  • Duly completed First Schedule Form 1A application with $10.00 Bahamian postage stamp affixed thereon (legible and notarized)
  • Applicant’s Original medical certificate (dated not earlier than 30 days before submission of the application. Required for each applicant)
  • Applicant’s original police certificate covering five (5) years of residence issued not earlier than six (6) months before submission of application; required for applicants age 14 years or older. If applicant held legal Immigration status immediately preceding Resident Spouse Permit Application, police certificate can be obtained locally)
  • Two (2) current passport photographs of applicant on white background with name printed on back of photo (captured within six (6) months of application; photo size must be 2 X 2 inches)
  • Copy of the biographical data page of applicant’s current passport (must be signed and readable with minimum of two (2) months validity)
  • Copy of biographical data page of Bahamian spouse’s passport (must be signed and readable with two (2) months validity)
  • Certified copy of marriage certificate (English translations and Bahamian $10.00 postage stamp affixed thereon; if applicable)
  • Certified copies of birth certificates for children of the marriage (under age of 18)
  • Certified copies of birth certificates for children of applicant not born of the marriage (under age of 18)
  • Original birth certificate of applicant (English translations and Bahamian $10.00 postage stamps affixed thereon; if applicable) with the verification by the Consulate and authentication of signature by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Certified copy of Bahamian spouse’s birth certificate 
  • Death Certificate/ Divorce Decree for previous spouse (if applicable)
  • Adoption certificate or Legal Guardianship (if applicable)
  • Deed Poll (if applicable)
  • Copy of Bahamian Registration or Naturalization of spouse (if applicable)
  • Letter from job verifying employment of Bahamian spouse
  • Letter from job verifying employment of applicant (if applicable)
  • For accompanying Dependents, apply for Permit to Reside.

All further correspondence should be addressed to:

Director of Immigration
P.O. Box N-831
Nassau, The Bahamas

Please note that:

1. All documents issued from countries outside The Bahamas must be properly verified (by apostille or Legalization) and have signature of authentication by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before they can be submitted.
2. Certified translations in English are required for each foreign document submitted and should have a Bahamian $10.00 postage stamp affixed thereto.
3. Translations must be prepared by someone proficient in the relevant foreign language.
4. Persons applying for status in first instance should not be in the country during the processing of the application.